Friday, April 6, 2012

Let's Discuss: Talon


My Epic Fantasy, Chest of Souls, has been described as 'Lord of the Rings meets Hunger Games'.  In part it's because my main male-character, Talon, has such a harsh life growing up.  

In the COS series, the cast of main male characters progress from pre-teens to the gladiator-like heroes destined to take part in a nightmare.    

William Levy
I would like unknowns to play the parts because the audience won't have a predetermined idea about performance.
 
In the meantime, I try to find pictures of people that are acceptable physical substitutes - chosen for the sole purpose of giving people the idea of what I imagine my characters to look like. This can be changed at any moment if I find someone more appropriate.

William has a nice body and the men that surround Talon, his friends and fellow-prisoners, will all have nice bodies - a forced situation thrust upon them because of who they must become - Sons of Ammon, leaders of armies, etc.

The picture of William are how I picture Talon at the end of the third book, Aftermath, and into the fourth book, Sacrifice of Souls.  At the time, he is only 16.  Here's the reason it will work:  Talon is seven and a half feet tall before he quits growing.  Of course,  any of those pictured, including William Levy will not remain young - except in past pictures. Most are too old to play any part in the series at this point.


In the epic, most characters mistake Talon for someone older because he is so tall and strong.  Talon carries a big load on those broad shoulders and by the beginning of Sacrifice of Souls (SOS) the load gets bigger, a lot bigger.  

Also, nothing personal, but William is not a 'pretty' boy - he has a certain kind of ruggedness that Talon would have.


I got this from my FB feed. You can see who
had it on their page. I have not followed the person, but when I saw it, I felt this could be
a close match facial-wise to Talon. It kind of looks like this guy could be the dad to William Levy, the 'early' picture of Talon when he's just a teenager.
Here Talon is in peacetime - post Walking in Lightning.
Peace isn't that peaceful for him.
If you put about 30-40 more pounds of muscle on this guy, it would be 
perfect for how Talon would have looked when he was allowed to begin his 'happily ever after'


No comments: