Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Let's Discuss: Soline

Soline beneath water
Soline above water



















Her name(s):  Soline:  Keeper of the Waves, Sea Goddess, Sea Witch, "Sully" (though only one person dares to call her that).

Notable characteristics:  When she is out of the water, her living hair is blue, green and grey (the grey is before she has kids - just to be different).  When she is under the waves, it is dark brown.  Her eyes are supposed to be as green as apples and the irises float on the bottom of the eye like twin corks.  When she's angry or feeling strong emotion, they are stationary.

Tidbits you may not know:

In the original first-ever story draft, Soline and Ammon fought Revaya and Soline actually killed her.

My oldest daughter came up with the idea of the "Ancients."  She had written a story in high school about kick-butt female dragon riders and one of the characters in that story morphed into what years later became Soline.  She suggested I add the Ancients to the story line in Chest of Souls - the rest is history.

The picture on the left is the one I commissioned of Soline first - and is the 'older' Soline - a good thirteen millennia have passed between the one on the left and the one on the right.  The same artist did both. The one on the left is similar to my mom's face. The one on the right is similar to a famous actress.

Insane Water Mac?

I think losing her sanity was a close call.  There was every bit of a chance for her becoming as nutsy-coo-coo-ya-ya as Vael.

Those who have read the books know how she avoided total insanity.  Not that she didn't have moments after she left the Fortress....(think flood).

I cringed - often - as I wrote her. Curiously, I found her story so heart-wrenching, I grew to respect her and understand her plight.  With that said, I still do not particularly like her.  In reality, I would steer clear of her like I would a rabid dog.

Motivation?

In a word?  Ever-changing.
She learned to tolerate her Sea Captain, not even understanding she loved him, she automatically loved her children (but didn't know how to be a wife, mother, or grandmother).

There's also Jaydren, her first "crush."  Their story spans millennia.  Yet, she cannot accept the fact she plays second fiddle in his heart.

At her core, she even cares for a few people - Revaya and Ammon (though she'd never admit it).

Will she go back to Shara?

She has no intention of returning to Shara.  Ever.
Except...Jaydren is determined to reclaim his father's estate - Stone's Fist - and to right ancient wrongs. In Return to Shara, you'll have to ask yourself if Jaydren's unfathomable love is strong enough for their marriage to survive.


Music

Music amplifies emotion - whether heaven...or hell.  It's why I'm pretty careful about what I listen to and when I find something 'perfect' or even almost perfect, I like to use it for the emotion it draws out of me.

I look for lyrics and/or tunes that suit the characters/scenes.  This one will be Soline's song for Jaydren in Return to Shara. What's in red is the thoughts/scene/memories



Taylor Swift "This Love" lyrics


Clear blue water, high tide came and brought you in (J arrived at the Fortress)
And I could go on and on, on and on, and I will (She has been waiting millennia to escape)
Skies grew darker, currents swept you out again (when she lost him to another)
And you were just gone and gone, gone and gone 
In silent screams, (she never let those in the fortress use her emotions against her)
In wildest dreams 
I never dreamed of this (Captain Finn)

CHORUS
This love is good, this love is bad (Finn really loves her and that's good, but he's human)
This love is alive back from the dead (she learned to love Finn)
These hands had to let it go free (Finn died)
And this love came back to me (their two children)

Tossing, turning, struggled through the night with someone new (Finn)
And I could go on and on, on and on
Lantern burning, flickered in my mind for only you (she never forgot Jaydren)
But you're still gone, gone, gone (he belongs to Maris)

Been losing grip,(considers killing Maris)
Oh, sinking ships (impossibility of having Jaydren as long as Maris is alive)
You showed up just in time (she chases Jaydren)

Chorus repeated

This love left a permanent mark (Finn)
This love is glowing in the dark (she thinks of her pirate a lot)
These hands had to let it go free 
And this love came back to me

This love, this love, this love, this love... [4x]

REPEAT: Your kiss, my cheek, I watched you leave etc.


Chorus repeated

REPEAT: This love left a permanent mark, etc.

REPEAT: This love, this love, this love, this love

No comments: