Monday, August 11, 2008

Chest of Souls: Villains


Cover for SOS, Book 9 in COS 



High Priestess Saro (HPS): She is in charge of the Temple of the Unknown God in Sogo, the wickedest city in the world. One of the scariest and most feared of all people in the sixty-million citizen city.  She is not someone you want to cross. Ever.



Nightshades

I don't remember where I got the above picture. Perhaps a scientific publishing magazine. (update 2023: it was in National Geographic, at least I assume it was since their name was at the bottom of the article - Nov 2003, so 20 years ago). It is a real human eye, but modified for reasons I can't recall and I just tore a page out because the picture was interesting, not because I wanted the article. 

Freaky though, right?  I thought it effective. One look at someone with eyes like this and you wouldn't want to stay around them. The more the ex-humans murder, the more green covers the whites of their eyes until at last, you get the newest cover for Division of Souls. The woman on the front is the character Paril Demos, one of the Sogoian women that wanted immortality.  Note: Nez never told them the price.



Nez Shavae, Minister of Religion in Sogo, made the Nightshades using instructions garnered from an ancient text that mysteriously appeared on his desk amidst scorched hand prints and blood. Note: in the COS prequels, you will find out who left this information.


R Crowe

General Xavier Delisandro

Actor I envision:  Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe has the acting chops to pull off a man who is well aware of what he could have been and should have done.

P Saarsgard

Delf Shiraz

Actor I envision: Peter Saarsgard

Delf is a drug addict who frequently checks to see if his head is going soft - literally. He is also a lecher and wishes to form an alliance - and more - with the High Priestess Saro.

John Rhys-Davies

Grutlek Kohman

Actor I envision:  John Rhys Davies

Grutlek is a character that you'd like to use to wipe your hands on.  He is overconfident and a coward.  He is a brown-nosing ignorant oaf with high ambition and low I.Q.



Cillian Murphy

Scive and Razen Fellstein
Actor I envision: Cillian Murphy: Who else can absolutely nail the part of a bad guy with mental problems? In this story, he'd get to play TWO! 


Brendan Fraser
Cor Izor
Actor I envision: Brenden Fraser
  
Yeah, a bit out of the norm for Brenden, but I still think he could pull it off. I needed someone that looked nicer/kinder, etc. than what lay beneath the layers of corruption.

No comments: